Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spike's Tactical Forum

Post subject: OD Green Aggravation.
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:46 pm 

Just ordered my ST Mid with a Jolly Roger Lower. I had it color filled with OD Green anticipating ordering Magpul OD green furniture. Guess what? When I received my rifle the ST OD Green is much lighter than my Magpul accessories. Does anyone know the paint brand and color code that I can use to match Magpuls shade of OD Green?

Post subject: Re: OD Green Aggravation.
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:45 am 

Magpul has their own pigment definitions for each color they own. What they call OD Green does not match the shade defined by the military and the open market. You would need to blend your own until you got an exact match to the set of Magpul furniture you have (different batches from Magpul can slightly vary). Only company that I'm aware of that licenses the use of Magpul's color pallet is Cerakote. And Cerakote isn't a paint that you can use to color fill with.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/

Click there, and then select Green/Foliage. At the top you will see OD Green next to Magpul OD Green. Even from the sample pictures you can see with the naked eye there is a difference.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:26 am 

Thanks I will.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:33 am 

Ok let's try this way. What Testors colors could maybe be mixed to get that shade of green? Just need a starting point.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:30 pm 

Use the 1164 OD Green Enamel as your base, and add drops of 1166 Brown Enamel until you reach the preferred blend. You'll want to start at 50:1 mix and sample as you continue to increase the amount of brown mixed in (50:2, 50:3, 50:4, etc). Each sample will need to dry completely for comparison before you increase and try again. Stir & shake each time you add more brown to ensure a good mix.

Magpul's batches of polymer can vary so much that we could never find a single solution that worked over multiple deliveries of their parts. Sometimes we couldn't receive stocks and handguards that matched. FDE is the same, but due to the lighter color, it was harder to notice the variance with the naked eye... but it would be quite visible in photography.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:27 pm 

I've seen Magpul OD Green stocks in a store where one would not match the other. Their FDE is spot on and seems to always match but their OD seems to be mixed by a blind man.

Board index » Spike's Tactical Forum