Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Spike's Tactical Forum

Post subject: New owner, a few questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:09 pm 

I recently purchased an ST15. Unfortunately I got one of the ones where the gas key wasn't properly staked. No big deal. Called them up and within minutes I had an RMA and they couldn't have been nicer. They said it was solid enough as is to go shoot and test it out anyway. So that's what I did. I cleaned and thoroughly lubricated the weapon and headed to the 300 yard range.

I ran a total of 10 magazines with an even mix of Federal American 5.56 M193 and M855 55/62 gr respectively. Charging the weapon was difficult, as if the charging handle was biting into the interior of the upper receiver. Upon field stripping I noticed that the finish was wearing off. No big deal it was going to come off anyway. I CLP'd it and reassembled the rifle. The CLP didn't help much. Racking the bolt was still difficult, more than I have experienced than with other T2 buffer springs. Fine, it will break in.

The real issue, and the question I have, is has anyone else experienced multiple, consistent failures for the bolt to return to battery after firing? Every third or fourth shot I had to smack the forward assist or thumb the scallop to close the bolt. I've owned everything from budget DPMS rifles to premium DD rifles and I have never had that many failures to return to battery on an AR.

I have no experience with Spike's beyond this ST15 and I am merely curious if it is a known issue, or if it's just a completely shot BCG or whether something else is going on. I was fine with just sending in the BCG for a quick swap but I would hate to have to send in a brand new (as of Friday) entire rifle already. Especially from a company with a good reputation.

Post subject: Re: New owner, a few questions Blue grease on trigger assemb
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:16 pm 

was cleaning my new black Assassin I noticed blue grease inside the lower on the trigger group. Do I remove it and oil it or leave it?

Board index » Spike's Tactical Forum