I have been a pistol shooter for some time and am interested (committed) in getting into the AR world. I have never owned or built an AR before but have done a fair bit of research and have had some friends point me in, what I feel has been, the right directions for gaining some knowledge about the platform. Along my "research journey" the Spike's name and reputation has definitely stuck out which is why I am here.
I am ready to make a purchase but wanted to have you community experts scan over my ideas and tell me if I am missing anything or if I have overlooked any aspect of the build and to also see if a Spike's rep had any recommendations that could save me a couple bucks or time on the build/shipping.
What I want: (part #'s from site)
1. STLC300-EFS - Spider (Bullet) Lower w/ Enhanced Kit - FDE CTR Stock & MOE Grip
But (personal preference), changing out the MOE grip for the Ergo Grip (SAG0102) which I think comes with the E-LPK anyway?
2. STU5035-R2S - Upper (5.56) 16" Mid LE w/12" BAR Rail (Part # just for reference as I didn't see an upper offered without a rail and without a FSB)
Minus the BAR rail. I have a YHM Diamond rail I picked up a while ago that was just too good of a deal to pass.
3. ST5BG03 - Bolt Carrier Group - Spike's Nickel Boron HPT/MPI M16 BCG (5.56)
As a replacement BCG to the standard one in the above upper.
4. SED7011 - Upper Parts - Ejection Door w/Spider-BioHazard Engraving
As a replacement dust cover to the standard one in the above upper.
5. SUH10G4 - Charging Handle - BCM Gunfighter w/ Mod 4 Medium Latch
Again, as a replacement to the standard CH in the above upper.
My questions are more for the upper. Will I encounter any problems attaching (free floating) the YHM rail (YHM model # YHM-9633-DX) over the spikes gas block that would be on the above mentioned upper?
Does replacing standard parts with upgraded "drop ins" like the NiB BCG, BCM charging handle, Ergo handle for the lower, or engraved dust cover add to build/ship times? I know some people are having to deal with very long wait times and I dont want to add weeks to my build with frivolous add-ons that I can always get at a later time (the charging handle for one example).
Lastly, AM I FORGETTING ANYTHING?!?!?! I know I need mags, buis/optics, sling, etc... but am I forgetting anything on the rifle itself?
Thanks a ton for any help/advice guys!
If you are looking to save time and or money, then here's the beat I can say on each point.
1. The FDE parts are ordered in smaller volume and go out of stock for us more often. Getting the stripped lower, enhanced lower parts kit, buffer assembly, and stock seperately from retailers could be easier.
2. We do not sell stripped upper receiver groups to meet what you want to accomplish with the upper. You could have a custom build done, but that would take time. If you are already going to do a rail swap, that will require full disassembly of the upper. Try parts only for this also. We are currently selling our 16" mid CHF barrels separately, which have not done for a long time.
3. By doing a parts build upper, this is a non issue.
4. Our upper receivers ship with a standard door. But at least this gives you the mounting hardware to swap yourself. And this is easier to do with a naked receiver than a full upper.
5. Same as #3.
6. Yes. Custom orders can take longer. This is another reason to go with a parts build since you do not want a 100% ST rifle.
7. If you plan to do the upper work yourself, there are tools involved to do it right without bending/breaking parts. Being new to rifles, I would suggest letting a gunsmith build up your first one and see if he will let you watch and learn. If you plan to go full parts build, let us know and we can give you a check list for upper and lower to make sure you are covered.
Sent from my HTC Evo